Do a lot of listening. If you aren't on this website, listen to your
teacher, the radio, TV, video cassettes, audio cassettes--anything
you can get your hands on. Just listen to English as much as you
can stand it and you will learn a lot.
To listen for instruction
in English grammar, click below:
2. Match sounds to words
When you listen to the language,
look at the letters and words that match the sounds. This will help
you with reading and pronunciation. Understanding English spelling can help you with pronuniciation if you learn the letter combinations that produce certain sounds:
cap / cape, cop / cope, cut / cute...
3. Write - Everytime you learn something new, write it down
in a notebook. This will help you to remember what you have learned. Buy a notebook and use it only for practicing English.
4. Read - Try to read English one hour
every day. Yes, this
is difficult, but English is a very big language, and the only way
to learn essential vocabulary is to read it.
5. Speak - Whenever you have the opportunity,
speak English. This will be hard to do if you don't live in an English-speaking
country; however, the internet provides new opportunities to practice
speaking through chat rooms (which is mostly just text for now) and
through audio-video chat technology, such as is available through an
You can also record your voice using the recorder below, but don't send it to me. Just use it while you are on this website. Here's what you do:
* Keep this window open while you are listening to audio or video.
* As soon as you finish listening to something, use the voice recorder to say exactly what I have said.
* Listen to the playback and compare it to my recording.
6. Use the internet - Find one or two or
three different free websites that you can go to daily. Don't pay for
instruction over the internet. Some websites require monthly or yearly
fees and they aren't worth it. This website will always be free.
7. Learn from a teacher - If it's possible you should try
to learn from as many different teachers as possible, but at the very
least find one teacher and learn what you can from that person.
8. Go to LearnAmericanEnglishOnline.com - It's not the best
site on the internet, but I'm always trying to make it better. Click
on the video below for instructions on using this site.
9. Have a goal - You can print out a certificate after you complete all seven levels.