Jim and Darryl work together. They're coworkers. They both work as salespeople for a furniture company in Chicago. Their day begins at 9:30 in the morning and it ends at 6:00 or 7:00 in the evening. They like the company that they work for, but business isn't very good these days because of the economy.
Jim is married and has two kids. He's worried that he's not making enough money right now to support his family. He's trying to save money for the future in case he loses his job
Darryl is single. He worries a little about his job, but he doesn't have the same kind of responsibilities that Jim has. On the weekends, Darryl likes to play golf and go out with his friends.
O O O O O O O O O O O O O O
Now you try it. Read the paragraph above. If you have a microphone, you can record your voice and compare it to my voice.
These recordings were made by some of my students. Very good!
How much do you remember from the reading? Fill in the blanks.
- 1A: What kind of a company do Jim and Darryl work for?
- 1B: They work for a _____________ company.
- 2A: What do they do?
- 2B: The work as _______________.
- 3A: How many kids does Jim have?
- 3B: He __________ two kids.
- 4A: What does Darryl like to do on the weekends?
- 4B: He __________ to play golf.
(Answers: 1. furniture; 2. salespeople; 3. has; 4. likes)