Have you ever been to a sculpture garden? A sculpture garden is an outdoor space for the public enjoyment of these three-dimensional art forms. The sculptures are featured within a variety of landscapes and natural settings. Some sculpture gardens also include gardens with flowers, shrubs, and trees.
A sculpture can be made from many different, durable materials: steel, concrete, glass, and plastic are among the most common. The sculptures are kept outside year round, so they must be able to withstand precipitation, heat, cold, or constant exposure to the sun.
Visitors to a sculpture garden are often pleasantly surprised by the wide variety of approaches to sculpture. Some sculptures are modern and abstract while others take a more traditional form resembling people or animals.
Sculpture gardens can be found in many cities around the world. Tehran, Toronto, Washington, D.C., and Minneapolis are home to some of the most famous ones. If you go, be sure to bring your camera!
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Now you try it. Read the paragraphs above. If you have a microphone, you can record your voice and compare it to my voice.
- 1A: What is a sculpture?
- 1B: It's _______________________art.
- 2. Sculptures in a sculpture garden are outside year round, so they must be very ____________.
- 3. __________to a sculpture garden are often pleasantly surprised by what they see there.
- 4. Sculpture gardens _______________ in many cities around the world.
(1. three-dimensional; 2. durable; 3. Visitors; can be found.)
Return to the Green Level