October 12, 2011 - Word of the Day: trap
The word "trap" is used to describe a situation when a person tries to catch something (an animal or another person). We also use the word "trap" when a person feels helpless and cannot change his circumstances:
Someone is trying to trap this mouse. There's a piece of cheese in the trap. If the mouse takes the cheese, the trap will snap shut on top of him and he will be trapped (or he will be killed).
Here are some more examples:
- The government set up a trap to catch some drug dealers.
- Andrea is trying to trap her boyfriend into getting married.
- Sam feels trapped in his job.
- Rhonda feels trapped in her car all day because she travels a lot.
- I trapped a fly in my hands before letting him go.
Word of the Day for October 11, 2011: cash
Word of the Day: August 2011
Word of the Day: July 2011