September 23, 2011 - Word of the Day: advise
The word "advise" is a verb. It describes the action of giving ideas and recommendations to other people. You give advice to someone when you advise.
- The teacher advised the students to prepare for the test.
- Helena was advised to stay on bedrest during the last few weeks of her pregnancy. Her doctor gave her that advice.
- I strongly advise you to read more if you want to improve your vocabulary.
- It's a shame he was so ill-advised by the counselor. The college that she recommended was a terrible experience for him. ("ill-advised" is usually an adjective, but it's a verb in the passive voice in this sentence.)
- My doctor advised me to quit smoking.
The lawyer advised his client on some important legal matters.
Word of the Day for September 22, 2011: advice
Word of the Day: August 2011
Word of the Day: July 2011