August 27, 2012 - Word of the Day: believe
To believe is to have an idea, to think, or to imagine that something can be true.
- The police believe they have the man who robbed the store.
- Tanya believes her son when he says he isn't lying.
- Do you believe in God?
- What do you believe in?
- I believe you can learn English if you really work hard at it.
- Haruna believed in ghosts when she was a child, but she doesn't believe in them now.
- No one believes what he is saying.
Sometimes "believe" is similar to the word "think."
- I believe this is your cell phone. It was on the table where you were sitting.
- They believe they have a solution to the problem.
- I don't believe we've met. My name is Paul.
The noun form of "believe" is "belief."
- Those people have very strong beliefs.
- Their beliefs prevent them from doing certain kinds of work.
- What are your beliefs?
Note: The first syllable in "believe" is not accented. The vowel in the first syllable is a schwa sound.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.