August 3, 2012 - Word of the Day
The word "victory" is very similar to the word "win" when it's used as a noun. Sporting events, wars, and other forms of competition usually result in some kind of victory for one side or the other:
- Jose lead his team to victory this season.
- Natalya loves the taste of victory.
- The people of Libya celebrated their victory over the fall of a brutal dictator.
- They couldn't relax until the victory was certain.
- Victory will be mine.
When this word is in the form of an adjective, it becomes "victorious."
- It was a tough match, but in the end our team was victorious.
- Once the battle concluded, the victorious army did not harm the people of the city.
- The victorious team claimed the trophy.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.