August 29, 2012 - Word of the Day
Something that is violent involves action that can cause physical or mental harm. Fighting, killing, and torture are all violent actions. The word "violent" is an adjective:
- Vanessa doesn't allow her children to watch violent movies.
- The man across the street has a very violent temper. He scares everyone.
- A violent storm knocked down trees and powerlines.
The word "violence" is a noun:
- Children should not be exposed to too much violence on TV or in real life.
- The violence in Syria has resulted in the death of thousands of people, most of them civillians.
- Some people resort to violence in addressing their problems.
The pronunication of the word "violent" is similar to the word "violin." Compare: violent / violin. If you have trouble making "v" sounds, click here to go to the pronunciation section.
This is a violin.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.