July 17, 2012 - Word of the Day
To follow rules and laws is to obey. This verb is used when describing activity related to behavior.
- Steve obeys the law when he drives his car.
- Helen doesn't obey the law when she drives. She often gets pulled over by the police.
- Obeying the law is not that hard to do.
- Do you obey the speed limit when you drive?
- If you obey the rules of this company, you'll do well; if you don't obey the rules, you'll get fired.
- Joan tried to obey her diet, but she couldn't do it. As a result, she gained weight.
- Timmy didn't obey his mother, so he was punished.
- You must obey your parents.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.