July 18, 2012 - Word of the Day
When your body releases water to cool itself down, it sweats. Bodies also sweat because of nervousness or fear:
- Everyone sweats when it's hot outside. He's sweating. His body is sweaty. Sweat is dripping off of his forehead.
- He's sweating because he's nervous.
- He's sweating because he's scared.
This word is often used to describe situations in which a person is not actually sweating. It's also used in some expressions:
- Don't sweat the small stuff. (Don't worry about little things.)
- Do you need some money? No sweat. Here's ten dollars. (no sweat = no problem)
- He completed all of his work without even breaking a sweat.
- Jill sweated through seven years of college before she became a lawyer.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.