June 26, 2012 - Word of the Day
(fa mil year)
Use the adjective "familiar" when you see someone or a place that you've seen before, or you have an experience that seems as if it has happened before.
- You look very familiar. Have I met you before?
- This place seems familiar. Have we been here before?
- It was nice to take a vacation at a hotel that was familiar.
- Belinda and Bill saw many familiar faces at the conference.
- This road doesn't look familiar. I think we're lost.
- This song sounds familiar. Where have I heard it before?
The opposite of "familiar" is "unfamiliar."
- This is an unfamiliar neighborhood.
- It's an unfamiliar feeling for Tom to be out of a job for so long.
- Renee feels uncomfortable working in an office because it's an unfamiliar setting.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.