Use the word "another" when referring to one more thing, a group of things, or a different thing.
- Can I get another pound of salami, please. (I have one pound, but I would like one more.)
- The team scored another run to win the game.
- This rate increase is going to cost us another $50 per month.
- John and Rachel are going to have another child in May, making them a family of five. (two parents, three children)
- The team working on the project requested another day to get their work done. (They asked for one more day.)
- President Obama was given another four years to be President in 2012.
- It's raining. We'll go the beach on another day.
- The receptionist asked Bertha to choose another time to meet with her lawyer.
- Tom visited another doctor for a second opinion on his cancer diagnosis.
Note: Don't confuse "another" with "other."
Click here to learn more vocabulary.
Date of publication: January 1, 2017