Red Level Quiz #18 – conjunctions (ANSWERS)
Directions: Choose among these conjunctions to fill in the blanks: and, but, or, so
Example: Tom likes peanut butter ______ jelly sandwiches.
Tom likes peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
1. You have a choice: You can have vanilla or chocolate ice cream.
2. We went to the beach, but we had to leave early because it started to rain.
3. It started to rain, so we left the beach.
4. Maria works during the week, and she works on Saturdays, too.
5. Joe likes football but not baseball.
6. The Nelson family grew quickly, so they bought a bigger house.
7. The teacher asked the students to be quiet, but they weren’t listening.
8. Blue and red make purple.
9. Which do you like, new furniture or old, antique furniture?
10. New York City is a great place to live, but an apartment there is very expensive.
Directions: Choose among these conjunctions to fill in the blanks: nor, yet, for (This part is for advanced level students.)
Example: Let me go now, ________ the day is breaking.
Let me go now, for the day is breaking.
1. This tool is not easy to use nor is it the best choice for this purpose.
2. The protestors refused to quit the demonstration, for they believed their cause was just.
3. Some stars in the sky seem so close, yet they are really very far away.
4. This store-bought chicken is neither fresh nor organic.
5. The medicine is strong yet effective.
6. The United States should welcome new immigrants, for it is a country built on the backs of immigrant labor.
7. Todd took an early retirement, for he felt either ignored or ridiculed by his coworkers who made his job unbearable.
8. John and Jill have been married for over 50 years, yet they still find the freshness of romance in their relationship.
9. The repairs on the car were not expected, nor were they inexpensive.
10. A perfect solution to this problem is neither simple nor necessary at this moment, so why should we have to deal with it now?