When something goes down, it decreases.
These sentences show how "decrease" can be used as a verb:
- The temperature decreased a few degrees in the last hour.
- Sales at that store are decreasing.
- Interest rates are decreasing.
- The number of students at that school has been decreasing.
- The company needs to decrease the amount of pressure it’s putting on the workers.
Earnings have have been decreasing lately.
In these sentences, "decrease" is a noun:
- There has been a decrease in the temperature.
- We noticed a decrease in his attendance.
- If there’s a decrease in traffic, the state won’t have to build a new highway in this area.
- The police say that a decrease in crime is due to their effort to get guns off the street.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
This page was first published on June 19, 2012. It was updated on February 4, 2016.