The word "elder" is similar to "old" or "older." It’s generally used when referring to older people. You can use this word as an adjective or as a noun:
- You should respect your elders.
- Jeremy’s elder brother moved in with him. (His older brother moved in with him.)
- Jimmy Carter is an elder statesmen and former President of the United States.
- The village elders came together to decide how to fix the problems in their community.
The word "elderly" is an adjective. Use it as a polite way of saying that a person is old.
- Marta is caring for an elderly parent.
- That building houses elderly residents.
- Bill says that he doesn’t feel elderly even though he has passed the age of 80.
- We have an elderly dog that needs a lot of care.
Many elderly people are able to get around with the use of a cane.
Click here to learn more words.
Published on January 5, 2014