If you "update" something, you change it from something old to something new. This word is often used for homes, clothing, cars, offices, stores, websites, etc.
- They’re updating their office with new carpeting and new furniture.
- Tanya’s kitchen hasn’t been updated in years.
- Jim needs to update his wardrobe. (He needs new clothes.)
- I need to update my calendar.
- This website is updated daily.
The examples above use the word "update" as a verb, but you can use it as a noun, too:
- Can you give me an update on the situation? (Give me any new information you have.)
- Your computer needs to check for updates on a regular basis.
- There’s a new update for this program if you want to download* it.
- A news update provided the latest information about a big storm approaching our area.
download: get something (information, pictures, audio, video, programs) from the internet
Click here to learn more words.
July 9, 2014