When a person believes that something is a fact and then announces it, he or she tells the truth. (The verb "tell" is often used with "truth.")
- Is he telling the truth?
- Laurie told the truth regarding the incident.
- Newspapers are obligated to print the truth.
- Do you know what the truth is?
- I don’t think he can handle the truth.
- We need to find out the truth.
- Is that the truth or is it a lie?
The word "truthful" is an adjective.
- Do you think he’s being truthful?
- We believe she’s truthful.
- A person who is honest and truthful will make a good employee.
Related to the word "truth" is the word "true." This is also an adjective.
- Is that true? Is that the truth?
- Do you think this is true?
- The teacher told us a very funny, true story about something that happened to him when he was a student.
- The quiz we took was true or false. (The answers to the questions were "true" or "false.")
- Is he being true to his wife and kids? (Is he being a good husband and father?)
Sometimes the truth hurts.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
December 22, 2015