To assist is to help. The word "assist" is a verb. The word "assistance" is a noun.
- Customer service representatives assist customers.
- I called customer service for assistance.
- The person who was assisting me put me on hold.
- This is a difficult problem to fix without some assistance from the company.
He nees some assistance.
This is how someone will use the words "assist" or "assistance" when offering help:
- May I assist you? (May I help you?)
- Do you need some assistance?
- Are you in need of assistance?
- Would you like some assistance?
- Let me find someone who can assist you.
This is how you use the words "assist" or "assistance" when you need help or support:
- Could you assist me, please?
- I need some assistance.
- Is there anyone who can assist me?
- Could you find someone who can assist me, please?
Use the word "assistant" for a person who provides support:
- I have an assistant.
- My assistant answers the phone in the office.
- The assistant to the president of a company sets appointments and helps take care of routine tasks.
- Producers of Hollywood films work with several assistants.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
March 1, 2015