A vent is an opening inside or outside of a building, a house, a car, a computer, a machine, etcetera. It allows for the passage of air and helps to regulate temperature.
- I opened a vent to allow more heat into the room.
- Can you open the vent, please?
- The custodian for the building checked all the vents to make sure they were working properly.
- If the vent is sealed, it won’t allow air to flow through.
A vent is also an opening in a volcano. Gas, hot air, and lava come out through the vent.
- You can see what looks like smoke coming from the vent.
- Lava and ash erupted through the vent.
- The volcano is venting gas.
The word "vent" can also be used as a verb. To vent is to express anger or show a raw emotional reponse:
- The supervisor vented her anger towards the employees.
- She later apologized for venting her anger. (This sentence uses "vent" as a gerund.)
- Bob and his coworkers felt a need to vent after a long day at work, so they all went to the local tavern for a beer.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
May 21, 2015