To care is to take responsibility or show concern about a thing or a person.
In these sentences and questions, the word "care" is a verb:
- Do you care for anyone? (Do you take responsibility for another person, such as a child or a parent?)
- Who cared for you when you were a child?
- What do you care about? (What’s important to you?)
- I don’t care about this. (This isn’t important to me.)
- Andy cares deeply about his family.
- Samantha cares about doing a good job at work.
- If you don’t like something, it’s polite to say, "I don’t care for that."
In the next set of sentences and questions, the word "care" is a noun:
- Please handle this package with care.
- A tremendous amount of care and compassion was shown towards the victims of the hurricane.
- How much care does an elderly person require?
- A baby needs a great amount of care.
- A person who is hurt in a serious accident or a terrorist attack might need long-term care.
- One way to say goodbye is to say, "Take care."
The word "caring" is an adjective:
- Thelma is a very caring and loving mother.
- Bruce is a very caring teacher. He made sure his students had warm clothes for the winter.
- The President of the United States should be someone who is caring and compassionate.
The words "careful" and "careless" are adjectives:
- Piyanan is a very careful driver. She doesn’t want to make any mistakes while driving.
- Brandon is very careless when he drives. He doesn’t pay enough attention to the road and other drivers.
- Teachers get frustrated with students who turn in writing assignments full of careless mistakes.
- Be careful about choosing a place to live if you move to the United States. Some places are much better than others.
There are a few others ways to use the word "care" that you should pay attention to:
- An intensive care unit at the hospital is a place where people with life-threatening injuries are cared for. This is also referred to as an ICU (intensive care unit).
- A care package is a small package full of food for someone you love. Parents send care packages to their children when they move off to college.
- Good health care is an important thing to have access to. In the United States, everyone is required to have health care insurance to help pay for costs associated with medical care.
Each and every one of us needs to care for our planet.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
August 4, 2016