The word "physical" can be used as an adjective or as a noun to refer to a person’s body:
- Walter went to the doctor for a physical. (physical = exam)
- Tanya is a person who believes strongly in good physical fitness.
- After his accident, Juan needed physical therapy to recover strength in his legs.
- A person with a physical challenge may need to use a wheelchair in order to get around.
The word "physical" is also used to describe something that exists in reality:
- The onset of rust is a physical change in steel.
- The physical structure of the building was undermined by an earthquake.
- Our understanding of the physical universe has had a big impact on the quality of our lives over the last few hundred years.
- A person who is interested in physical science knows a lot about math and physics.
- We used an actual, physical map instead of the one that’s on the phone.
He has a strong interest in physical science.
The word "physically" is an adverb:
- Tanya is very physically fit.
- A person who is physically disabled may use a specially designated parking space.
- A child who is physically abused by a parent may also suffer mentally.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
This page was published on July 20, 2017.