If something is uncertain, it’s not clear, or there is some doubt. This word is the opposite of certain.
- Zoey is uncertain about whether or not she should go to college after high school.
- Brad is uncertain about leaving his current job and starting a new business.
- When asked about when she would retire, Mathilda said she was uncertain.
- Todd didn’t get the job he interviewed for because the company was uncertain of his skills and his experience.
- Many people are uncertain about the health of the planet’s ecosystem.
- The future is uncertain.
The word "uncertainty" is a noun:
- There’s a lot of uncertainty regarding the direction of the stock market.
- Political activities can cause uncertainty within a country that has a weak economy.
- Many investors don’t like to put their money into industries in which there’s any uncertainty.
- There’s a lot of uncertainty regarding the value of Bitcoin.
Published on January 26, 2018