If something is special, it’s different from ordinary things. A special thing or a special person might deserve more attention when compared to other things or other people:
- Wendy says that the town where she grew up will always feel special to her.
- Pamela and Ricky have a special relationship that has lasted over 20 years.
- Do you have a special someone in your life? (special someone = a person with whom you are romantically involved)
- A famous singer promised he would make a special appearance at an outdoor concert.
- I have a special announcement to make.
- You need a special type of tool to put this machine together.
- Our company need to hire someone with special skills.
- Peaches are on special this week. (In this sentence, the word "special" is a noun. When something is on special, it’s on sale.)
The word "specialize" is a verb. A person who specializes in something concentrates his or her attention in one area:
- George specializes in making sculpture out of discarded metal.
- Cynthia needs to see a doctor who specializes in treatment for depression.
- A podiatrist is a doctor who specializes in problems related to the feet.
Click here to increase your vocabulary in English.
June 27, 2018