You can use the word "hush" when there’s a need to keep people quiet.
- Hush! (Be quiet!)
- You’re going to have to hush.
- The teacher tried to get the students to hush.
- A moviegoer told the person sitting behind her to hush.
- It can be difficult to get someone to hush.
- Please, hush!
Hush! The baby is sleeping.
The word "hushed" is an adjective:
- The speaker told a hushed crowd of how a woman escaped from captors in her home country.
- A hushed group of students listened to a former Navy Seal tell about his experiences in Iraq.
- The two boys spoke in hushed whispers before falling asleep.
The word "hush" can also be used as a noun:
- A hush fell over the crowd.
- There was a hush as soon as the speaker began his presentation.
- Rescuers at the site of an earthquake raised their arms and suddenly there was a hush as they listened for cries of help.
Click here for more vocabulary.
May 11, 2018