The ear is that part of the body that is used for hearing and listening to sound. Human beings and animals have ears.
There are some popular expressions that include the word "ear."
- That’s music to my ears. (That information makes me happy.)
- She’s grinning from ear to ear. (She’s very happy.)
- The teacher’s advice fell on deaf ears. (The students didn’t listen to anything the teacher said.)
- What are your ideas? I’m all ears. (I want to hear what you have to say.)
- I can’t believe my ears. (This is hard to believe.)
- He’s a little wet behind the ears. (He’s inexperienced.)
- I would like to learn to play music by ear. (I want the ability to participate in playing of music without having to read music notation or use music charts.)
- Can you play the guitar by ear?
- We’re just going to have to play this by ear. (We don’t have any plans. We will deal with the situation as it unfolds in real time.)
Click here for more English vocabulary.
August 7, 2019