A hall is an interior space for a building or a house. It’s used to connect rooms as an area to walk through, and a hall is used as a place for social or communal activity.
- A dining hall is a place where people eat.
- A mess hall is a place for people in the military to eat when they are on a military base.
- The halls of Congress are places where members of the U.S. House or Representatives and the Senate meet.
- There are halls inside a house or an apartment. Residents of the house use the hall to enter or exit rooms.
- On college campuses, the word "hall" is part of the name of a dormitory.
- Peter lives in Schneider Hall.
- Melissa shares a room with a roommate at Farwell Hall.
A hallway is usually a long corridor that people must walk through in order to get to individual rooms:
- In American schools, the hallways are very busy places as students walk from one classroom to another.
- The hallways are places where students have lockers. Hallways are also places where students meet and greet each other during the day.
This is a long hallway.
Click here for more English vocabulary.
October 22, 2019