Yellow Level Quiz #19 – Eight Parts of Speech (ANSWERS)
Directions: Indicate to which of the eight parts of speech the underlined word belongs. Is the word a verb, noun, pronoun, adjective, adverb, preposition, conjunction, or article.
Example: The house is on fire.
1. This building houses thirty-five residents. ____verb______
2. The students who attend this school have many needs that aren’t being considered. _____noun______
3.After the holidays are over, prices on Christmas items are really reduced. ____adverb______
4. The class started late because of the weather. ____preposition______
5. Housing in this city is becoming more and more expensive.
6. Everyone was upset with Todd because he was being a real jerk at the party. ____adjective_______
7. Is this my jacket or yours? ____pronoun_______
8. My jacket has a broken zipper. ____adjective_______
9. This weather is fit for neither man nor beast. ___conjunction_______
10. The owner’s manual included in the box explained how to assemble the table. ___adjective_______
Directions: Label each underline word in the sentences and questions below as a verb, noun, pronoun, adjective, adverb, preposition, conjunction, or article.
Example: The speaker went on for over an hour. _____noun______ / _____article______
1. Who has my book? ___pronoun________ / _____noun_______
2. They’re not interested in going to the museum today. ____verb_______ / _____preposition______
3. She’ll gladly help you if you ask for help. ___adverb_______ / ____noun_______
4. A loss of confidence among bank customers caused a run on the bank. ____preposition_____ / _____noun______
5. Those phones are way overpriced. ___adverb_______ / ___adjective_______
6. “Neither a lender nor a borrower be,” said Polonius to Laertes. ___article_____ / ____noun_______
7. The place where I grew up is still standing. ___pronoun______ / _____adverb______
8. We took an unpaved road to the cabin. ____pronoun______ / ____adjective______
9. All of the children were unhappy because their teacher was laid off from her position. ___conjunction_____ / ___adjective____
10. This is the least of our worries at the moment. ____noun______ / ____preposition_____