|Orange Level - Exercise #10: the subjunctive mood -- requests|
Directions: Change each sentence to the subjunctive mood. These are all requests.
Part A. Use the word "that" to begin a clause after the verb.
Examples: I asked them to be quiet. / The thief told her to give him the money.
I asked that they be quiet. / The thief demanded that she give him the money.
1. She asked him to fix the computer.
She requested _______________________________________________.
2. Sandra wanted the post office to hold onto her mail.
Sandra asked _______________________________________________.
3. The judge told the lawyer to be quiet.
The judge insisted ___________________________________________.
4. My supervisor said it would be a good idea for me to accept this new position.
My supervisor suggested ______________________________________.
5. "He should fix it himself," I said.
I suggested _________________________________________________.
Part B. Change each command to a sentence that uses the subjunctive mood in the clause following the verb.
6. "Give me a refund," John told the clerk.
John demanded _________________________________________________.
7. "Could you help me move some boxes," Tom asked me.
Tom requested __________________________________________________.
8. " Can you work this weekend?" Sue's boss asked. (Sue is a woman.)
Sue's boss asked _________________________________________________.
9. "Stop drinking so much!" Bill's wife told him.
Bill's mother demanded ____________________________________________.
10. "Take a vacation," our boss told us.
Our boss insisted _________________________________________________.
Click here for the answers.