Learn American English Online Blog
May 29, 2017
Today is Memorial Day in the United States. On this day, we are reminded of the sacrifices that people have made in the past, and continue to make, on behalf of all Americans.
May 27, 2017
If you are curious to know what the email that I send out to students looks like, here it is.
May 24, 2017
Today’s word of the day is "niece."
May 22, 2017
Here’s a new video for the verb "seem."
May 20, 2017
The most important verb to learn and understand in English is the verb "be." This Purple Level lesson provides examples of how the verb "be" might be used.
Today’s Red Level lesson is on reflexive pronouns. I’ve included here an exercise for you to try after you take a look at the lesson.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Directions: Choose from the following reflexive pronouns to complete each sentence or question. The answers are below:
1. Thomas, you should be very proud of __________.
2. We helped __________ to some food at the party.
3. This morning, I cut __________ while shaving.
4. There’s a little boy sitting all by __________ in the cafeteria.
5. Sometimes people have to figure things out for __________.
6. Hillary Clinton introduced __________ to everyone at the lecture.
7. You can all congratulate __________ for a job well done!
8. The computer turns __________ off after a few hours.
9. He has no one to blame but __________.
10. Linda is the owner of the company, so she can pay __________ whatever she wants.
May 19, 2017
This is one of the exercises that went out in today’s emailed lessons:
Exercise 2: the verb "run"
Directions: Choose the correct form of the verb "run" to complete each sentence or question.
run / ran / run / running
1. The water from the faucet needs to _________ for half a minute before it’s hot enough.
2. The man _________ from the police, but he was caught.
3. Have you ever considered __________ for public office?
4. Why did she __________ all the way here? She could have walked.
5. Don’t _________!
6. My nose is __________. Do you have a tissue?
7. That old car hasn’t __________ in over two years.
8. The teacher yelled at the students because they were __________ in the hallway.
9. Jose __________ in the Boston Marathon every year.
10. Helen __________ the dishwasher just before going to sleep last night.
The word of the day is "hammer."
May 17, 2017
Today’s word of the day is "gutter."
There’s a new vocabulary quiz for the month of May 2017. Notice that it matches the video below.
May 15, 2017
Here’s a new vocabulary video:
May 14, 2017
Happy Mother’s Day!
May 13, 2017
The word of the day is "damage."
Uh-oh! His keyboard is damaged.
May 10, 2017
Whether you are a beginner or an advanced student, the choice of an article causes problems. My website has only one lesson on this topic, so I’ll have to come up with more. In the meantime, Lesson Ten in the Blue Level might be of some help to you.
Here’s a new exercise for articles. It’s in the form of a PDF.
May 9, 2017
The word of the day is "carry." Thanks to Srinivas for reminding me to upload the file!
May 8, 2017
Students who are working in the Purple Level study the verb "look" today.
Do you know the differences among the verbs "look," "watch," and "see"?
The word of the day is "brilliant."
May 6, 2017
Today’s Purple Level lesson is on the verb "give." Don’t forget to look at the verb phrases and idioms that are created with this word.
May 5, 2017
I sent out an email lesson for the verb "take." Did you get it?
May 3, 2017
Today’s Purple Level lesson is for the verb "put." This verb can be used many different ways when combined with a preposition. Try this new exercise and see how you do. It’s in the form of a PDF so that it’s easy to print out. The answers are at the bottom of this page.
May 1, 2017
This month’s featured level is the Purple Level.
How good are you at using basic verbs in English? This exercise will give you some idea:
Directions: From the list provided, choose the correct verb and grammatical form to complete each sentence or question. Write the entire sentence or question in your notebook.
be / go / get / give / know
say / keep / take / do / use
1. Do you know how to _________ a table saw?
The answers are in today’s email. Are you receiving email from me? If not, why don’t you sign up?
Each course level on this website has a checklist. Print out and keep the checklist next to your computer, tablet, or phone and use it to track your progress as you move through the lessons:
Click here to go back to April 2017
Click here to go to the LAEO Blog Archive.
o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o o