…used for this information.
|a thing / fact|
|a location / place|
|time / day / year / month|
|method / quality |
Questions using question words follow two basic patterns:
Question Word + Verb + Subject
QW + V + S
Who is he?
Question Word + Verb + Subject + Verb
QW + V + S + V
Where do they live?
Who am I?
You’re a teacher.
Where are you?
I’m in the classroom.
What does he have?
He has some strawberries.
Where is she?
She’s at the beach.
Why is the cat drinking water?
When do we have class?
We have class in the morning.
You + I = We
How are they drinking their milkshake?
They’re drinking it with a straw.
What do they have?
They have popsicles.
1. ____________ are you? (location / place)
2. ____________ are those people? (people)
3. ____________ is the time? (fact / truth / information)
4. ____________ is he upset? (reason)
5. ____________ is the party? (date / time)
6. ____________ is the weather today? (quality)
7. ____________ coffee is there? (amount)
8. ____________ oranges are on the table? (amount)
(Answers: 1. Where; 2. Who; 3. What; 4. Why; 5. When; 6. How; 7. How much; 8. How many)
(This Orange Level Lesson has more examples of
words used for making questions.)