These questions are intended for people who moved to the United States from other countries and intend to live in the United States as residents–not as guests or as tourists; however, these questions can be changed to match the situation of people who do not live in the United States but might in the future. Click here for students who do not live in the United States.
1. Why did you decide to move to the United States? Was it difficult to leave your home country?
2. Did your image of the United States change once you moved here? In other words, you had an idea about what living in the U.S. would be like before you moved here? Did that idea match the reality?
3. What was your first day like here? What do you remember about it?
4. What are some of the strangest things you have seen here in the United States? How are these things different from the country that you left?
5. Have you thought about moving to a different state? If so, where would you like to move? Why?
6. Many people who immigrate to the United States decide to become citizens. Do you know whether or not you want to become a U.S. citizen in the future? If so, why do you want to become a U.S. citizen?