Green Level Quiz #10 – present perfect modal verbs, passive voice (ANSWERS)
Directions: Complete each statement or question with the modal verb “should” and the main verb in the passive voice, present perfect tense. The main verb is in parentheses.
Example: He ______ _______ ________ _________ something to eat. (give) / He should have been given something to eat.
1. You should have been told what do to. (tell)
2. This work should have been finished by now, but it isn’t. (finish)
3. The turkey should have been left in the oven a little longer because it’s still raw in the middle. (leave)
4. That old building should have been demolished years ago. (demolish)
5. Why should he have been given more time to finish his test than the other students? (give)
6. The water should have been tested before the people drank it. (test)
7. It shouldn’t have been discussed in front of the children. (discuss — negative)
8. Shouldn’t they have been questioned before they entered the country? (question — negative)
9. The door should have been locked, but it wasn’t and someone got in. (lock)
10. We should have been contacted before a decision was made. (contact)
Directions: Complete each statement or question with the modal verb “could” and the main verb in the passive voice, present perfect tense. The main verb is in parentheses.
Example: My cats ______ _______ _______ _________ in that fire. (kill) / My cats could have been killed in that fire.
1. You have to be more careful! You could have been killed by that man with the gun. (kill)
2. The problem could have been solved sooner if everyone had worked together. (solve)
3. My laundry could have been done faster with better machines. (do)
4. Those two people couldn’t have been married if their parents hadn’t agreed to it. (marry — negative)
5. Couldn’t the tenants have been notified earlier that they needed to leave by next month? (notify — negative)
6. His head could have been crushed without a helmet. (crush)
7. That game couldn’t have been won without a good effort from everyone. (win — negative)
8. Why couldn’t the passengers have been given more information about screening procedures? (give — negative)
9. Could the company have been saved without help from the government? (save)
10. This movie couldn’t have been made without all of the people who helped me. (made — negative)
Click here to return to the Green Level