the main verb
Where there are two or more verbs in a verb phrase, it’s necessary to identify the main verb.
Once you identify the main verb, it’s a good idea to consider the simple form of the main verb.
The simple form of a verb is also called the base form or the infinitive:
The main verb changes depending on the tense of the verb:
In each of the sentences above, we can say that they main verb is "go." It’s good practice to Identify the main verb in the simple form.
What’s the main verb in each of these sentences and questions?
in your notebook
Example: She is making dinner. make
1. Charles has finished his homework. ________
2. She has broken her arm. ________
3. What are you going to do tomorrow? ________
4. That man is being mean to the dog. ________
5. Stop talking!
6. They’re talking about the teacher. ________
7. Have you found a new apartment? ________
8. Tina was so happy! ________
9. Bob should have studied more. ________
10. What did you do yesterday?
Next: Lesson Three
Answers: 1. finish; 2. break; 3. do; 4. be; 5. stop; 6. stop; 7. talk;
8. be; 9. study; 10. do