|Orange Level – Exercise #3: Subjects, verbs, and direct objects (ANSWERS)|
Directions: Identify only the subject, the verb, and the direct object for each sentence.
Example: A large dog guards the house across the street.
subject: _____dog____________ / verb or verb phrase: ___guards_______ / direct object: ______house_______
1. He visits his parents at least once every few weeks.
subject: _____He_______ / verb or verb phrase: _______visits_____________ / direct object: ____parents______
2. Sleeping on this old mattress is hurting my back.
subject: ___Sleeping____ / verb or verb phrase: ______is hurting___________ / direct object: _____back_______
3. A young boy played several songs on the piano during the party.
subject: _____boy______ / verb or verb phrase: _____played______________ / direct object: ____songs_______
4. Maria wasn’t able to finish her dinner.
subject: ____Maria_____ / verb or verb phrase: ___wasn’t able to finish______ / direct object: ____dinner_______
5. A bee flying around in the backyard stung my son.
subject: ____bee_______ / verb or verb phrase: _______stung_____________ / direct object: ____son__________
6. One of the best musicians at our school is playing guitar in this band.
subject: ____One______ / verb or verb phrase: _____is playing____________ / direct object: ____guitar________
7. Our neighbors need a new front door.
subject: __neighbors___ / verb or verb phrase: ________need_____________ / direct object: ____door_________
8. Walking long distances in the morning should improve your blood circulation.
subject: __Walking___ / verb or verb phrase: ____should improve_________ / direct object: ___circulation______
9. Before the morning rush hour, several snow plows quickly cleared snow from the streets.
subject: __plows_____ / verb or verb phrase: _____cleared______________ / direct object: ____snow__________
10. In order to prepare for a career in business, Sam studied accounting.
subject: ___Sam_____ / verb or verb phrase: _______studied____________ / direct object: ___accounting_______