|Orange Level – Exercise #6: Changing direct speech to indirect speech|
Directions: Change direct speech (contained within quotation marks: "…." ) to indirect speech.
Example: "I get a lot of email every day," he said. (a man is speaking)
He said that he got a lot of email every day.
1. "Your order is ready." (a woman is speaking to you)
She said that .
2. "It’s going to rain tomorrow." (a male weather man is speaking)
The guy on TV said that .
3. "My car won’t start." ( a man is speaking)
My coworker called to say that .
4. "We don’t have the time to fix your car." ( a mechanic is talking to a woman)
The mechanic said that .
5. "I can’t come to your house tomorrow." (a female friend is speaking to you)
My friend Teresa told me that .
6. "Your paycheck will be late this week." (a boss is speaking to a female employee)
Her boss said that .
7. "She’s sleeping and she can’t come to the phone." (a man is talking about his wife)
He said that .
8. "There’s going to be a parade this weekend." (our teacher is speaking)
Our teacher told us that .
9. "They’re not safe to eat." (An man on TV is talking about the mushrooms growing in everyone’s front yard)
A man on TV said that .
10. "Your idea won’t work." (My friend is talking about my idea)
A friend of mine said that .