Orange Level Quiz #3 – Questions in Indirect Speech (ANSWERS)
Directions: Change each question from direct speech to indirect speech. Write your answers below each quoted statement. Think carefully about how verbs and pronouns change from one form to another. Think also if the question is a yes-no question or an information question.
1. “How old are you?” a student asked me.
A student asked me how old I was.
2. “Are these apples any good?” I asked.
I asked if these apples were any good.
3. “What are you doing this weekend.” Bob asked Sara.
Bob asked Sara what she was doing this weekend.
4. “Is my neighbor going to the store today?” Jenny wanted to know.
Jenny wanted to know if her neighbor was going to the store today.
5. “Do you have any money”? my wife asked me.
My wife asked me if I had any money.
6. “Where do you go to school? I asked them.
I asked them where they went to school.
7. “Did you already see that movie?” She asked me.
She asked me if I had already seen that movie.
8. “How long have you lived here?” My neighbor asked.
My neighbor asked how long I had lived here.
9. “Will you be at home this evening?” Ted asked Helena.
Ted asked Helena if she would be at home this evening.
10. “Where can I go to buy some milk?” he wanted to know.
He wanted to know where he could go to buy some milk.
Directions: Indicate how tenses or verbs change from one tense to another in…
the Sequence of Tenses
present tense past tense
present continuous past continuous
past tense past perfect
present perfect past perfect
Click here to return to the Orange Level