Exercise 1: tell
Directions: Rewrite each command using the verb "tell" in in the past tense. Pay attention to the way pronouns change from direct speech to indirect speech.
A man said to you: "Don’t go in there."
He told me not to go in there.
1. A woman said to her son: "Put down the apple."
She told her son to put down the apple.
2. Your roommate said to you: "Close the door."
My roommate told me to close the door.
3. You said to your friend: "Hurry up."
I told my friend to hurry up.
4. You said to him: "Don’t forget your jacket."
I told him not to forget his jacket.
5. A police officer said to a driver: "Slow down."
A police officer told a driver to slow down.
6. The doctor said to her patient: "Eat less red meat."
The doctor told her patient to eat less red meat.
7. Your sister said to you: "Turn off the TV."
My sister told me to turn off the TV.
8. Your mother said to your brother: "Be careful."
She told my brother to be careful.
9. The teacher said to the students: "Don’t talk during the test."
He told the students not to talk during the test.
10. Your boss said to you: "Don’t be late tomorrow."
My boss told me not to be late tomorrow.
Click here to return to the Purple Level lesson for "tell."