Vocabulary and Reading Exercise #3
Directions: Choose the best answer to complete each sentence.
1. The day after my son fell off of his bike, a large __________ appeared on the part of his leg where he landed on the pavement.
|a. break||b. bruise||c. hurt||d. bloody gash|
2. When we returned to our cabin, we made a fire in the
|a. fireplace.||b. basement.||c. oven.||d. furnace.|
3. In the Aesop’s fable, The Tortoise and the Hare, the "hare" is a
|a. turtle||b. mouse||c. rabbit||d. cat|
4. Words in a dictionary are arranged in alphabetical
|a. pages.||b. letters.||c. numbers.||d. order.|
5. When the driver of a car sees a a yield sign, he or she should let the other cars traveling in the same direction
|a. speed up.||b. exit.||c. go first.||d. go last.|
6. Tom’s uncle is serving in the military. Right now he is in Afghanistan. His entire family is proud of his
|a. salute.||b. gun.||c. grades.||d. service.|
7. If I forget my cell phone before I go to work, I usually ________ to get it .
|a. sit down||b. go back||c. buy a new one||d. look in the car|
8. We decided to spay our dog because we didn’t want to worry about her having
|a. puppies.||b. a heart attack.||c. worms.||d. a bad day.|
9. For lunch, I decided to eat something healthy and nonfattening, so I ordered
|a. a hamburger.||b. a salad.||c. fried chicken.||d. a bowl of ice cream.|
10. Children love to go to the zoo, but unfortunately some kids end up _________ the animals.
|a. talking with||b. eaing||c. teasing||d. playing with|