Red Level Quiz #16 – used to
Directions: Change the past tense verb to “used to” + the main verb. (10 points)
Example: She worked for that company in the past.
She used to work for that company.
1. He lived in Florida for a long time. Now he doesn’t.
He used to live in Florida.
2. Leonard was really heavy until he lost a hundred pounds.
Leonard used to be really heavy.
3. Maria played piano for ten years before she stopped.
Maria used to play the piano.
4. She smoked for ten years before she decided to quit.
She used to smoke.
5. I ate a lot of candy when I was a kid.
I used to eat a lot of candy.
6. They were married. Now they aren’t.
They used to be married.
7. They spoke Spanish every day when they lived in Colombia.
They used to speak Spanish every day.
8. Alice did her shopping every Saturday last year. Now she shops on Sunday.
Alice used to do her shopping every Saturday.
9. You called me almost every day, but then you stopped calling.
You used to call me every day.
10. Blake used a lot of bad language when he was younger, but now he doesn’t do that.
Blake used to use a lot of bad language.
Directions: Change the past tense verb to “never” + “used to” + the main verb. (5 points)
Example: They often have loud parties–but not in the past.
They never used to have loud parties.
1. You speak English all the time now, but you didn’t speak English very much in the past.
You never used to speak English.
2. She goes to work eight hours a day, five days a week, but last year….
She never used to go to work.
3. Saul takes a lot of medicine.
When he was younger, he never used to take medicine.
4. I need glasses to see things that are far away.
I never used to need glasses when I was a child.
5. Up until now, Ted wasn’t overweight.
Ted never used to be overweight.
Click here to return to the Red Level.