Writing Exercise #2: the past tense
Part A – Write questions and answers in the past tense.
* Sue (go) shopping yesterday.
Question: When did Sue go shopping?
Answer: She went shopping yesterday.
1. * Helen (have) a chicken sandwich for lunch.
Question: What did Helen have for lunch?
Answer: She had a chicken sandwich.
2. * Jim (leave) an hour ago.
Question: When did Jim leave?
Answer: He left an hour ago.
3. * They (go) to a movie.
Question: Where did they go?
Answer: They went to a movie.
4. * Matt (call) John.
Question: Who did Matt call?
Answer: He called John.
5. * The flight (take) two hours.
Question: How long did the flight take?
Answer: It took two hours.
Part B – Write questions and answers in the past tense: The subject for each question is "you." The subject for each answer is "I."
* I (go) to school every day.
Question: Where do you go every day?
Answer: I go to school.
1. * I (work) at a restaurant last year
Question: Where did you work last year?
Answer: I worked at a restaurant.
2. * I (do) the dishes this morning.
Question: When did you do the dishes?
Answer: I did the dishes this morning.
3. * I (get) a package.
Question: What did you get?
Answer: I got a package.
4. * I (watch) the news last night.
Question: What did you watch last night?
Answer: I watched the news.
5. * I (see) Dr. Johnson.
Question: Who did you see?
Answer: I saw Dr. Johnson.