1. Q: Why is her stomach so big?
A: She’s pregnant.
A: She’s expecting a baby. / She’s expecting.
2. Q: How long does a pregnancy last?
A: It usually lasts for nine months.
3. Q: What do doctors use to look at the baby when it’s inside the mother?
A: Doctors use an ultrasound machine to look inside the mother’s uterus.
4. Q: What happens when there’s a problem with the pregnancy?
A: The woman has to go to the doctor when there’s a problem with the pregnancy.
A: Sometimes the woman has a miscarriage. (The baby dies.)
5. Q: When a woman is going to have a baby, her friends have a party for her. What’s the party called? What happens at this party?
A: The party is called a "baby shower." The woman’s friends bring her gifts that will be useful once the baby arrives.
Click here for more Think in English exercises.