When traveling in an English-speaking country, it’s helpful to know how to ask questions about hotels, restaurants, and getting around town. This section of the website provides you with simple questions and answers to questions that you might ask when you travel in the United States.
- When does the flight leave?
- What’s the departure time?
- What gate does it leave from?
- Where do we get our boarding passes?
- Do we have to check our luggage?
- How much does it cost to check our bags?
- How long does it take to get through security?
- Is there a meal on this flight?
- What time do we land? / What time do we arrive?
- How long does this flight take?
Renting a Car:
- How much does it cost to rent this car per day?
- Can I make a reservation online?
- What kind of cars are available?
- Do I need to put down a deposit?
- Why do I have to buy insurance?
- Who do I call if the car breaks down?
- Does this car come with GPS?
- Can I get a car with a roof rack?
- What kind of gas mileage does this car get?
Bus Travel (short distances in a city)
- What’s the fare?
- Where can I buy a bus pass?
- How often do the buses run?
- Are the buses on a schedule?
- Do I need a transfer?
- How much is the fare?
- Can I buy a pass for more than one day?
- Is there a train that goes directly to the airport?
- How often do the trains run?
Renting a Room in a Hotel
- I need a room for four people.
- Can I get a rollaway bed?
- Our toilet is clogged. Could you please send someone to fix it?
- Could we get some extra towels please?
- Does this hotel have a swimming pool?
- Does the hotel have wifi?
- What time is coffee available in the morning?
- What time is check in?
- What time is check out?
Asking for directions:
- How far is it to ________________? (place)
- Which way is it to _____________? (place)
- Does this highway go to _____________? (place)
- How long will it take to get to __________? (place)
- How many hours is it to _________ (place) from _________ (place)?