Violet Level Quiz #2 – Conjunctive Adverbs
Part A. Directions: Choose from among these conjunctive adverbs to complete each sentence:
1. Buying and living in a 200-year-old house would be interesting; on the other hand, it would probably be very expensive to maintain.
2. You’ll have to start taking better care of your body and stop smoking; otherwise, you’ll die early.
3. Thao had a bad experience shopping at that store; consequently, she decided never to shop there again.
4. Growing apples is an interesting hobby which provides me with a lot of pleasure; furthermore, I don’t need to buy apples at the store.
5. Patricia and Karl lost interest in each other; consequently, they both agreed to a divorce.
6. Golf is a very fun sport; on the other hand, it’s very expensive.
7. The party became kind of boring after Toby left; consequently, everyone went home soon afterwards.
8. If we arrive at the restaurant early, we’ll get a good seat; on the other hand, the restaurant won’t feel very lively.
9. You should buy these boots while they’re on sale; otherwise, you’ll have to pay full price next week.
10. When the economy went into recession, business slowed down; consequently, Hector was laid off.
Part B. Directions: Choose from among these conjunctive adverbs to complete each sentence:
1. The jury found the man guilty on all charges of murder; therefore, he was sentenced to life in prison.
2. I would like to see the new exhibit; however, there might not be enough time to do that.
3. Becoming a doctor isn’t easy. In addition to many years of studying medicine, you have to deal with uncomfortable situations all the time.
4. My friend, Jeff, wants to ask Wanda out on a date; however, he’s too nervous.
5. Steve wanted more excitement in his life; therefore, he decided to join the U.S. military in hopes of going to Iraq.
6. This is a very useful tool; in addition, it’s easy to carry inside a pocket.
7. Carbon dioxide levels are rising in the earth’s atmosphere; therefore, temperatures around the planet are increasing.
8. Finding a new job can be a time-consuming process; in addition, it can be costly if you need to buy a new suit and send out resumes.
9. The company she works for is expanding; however, it won’t start hiring new workers until next year.
10. Tony has stopped watching what he eats; therefore, he’s starting to get really heavy.
Click here to return to the Violet Level.