The word "indicate" means to show or demonstrate. As a teacher, I use indicate fairly often in videos and in lessons when explaining the function of verbs and adjectives:
- The verb "be" indicates the verb tense in this sentence: Dinner is served at 6:00. (This sentence is in the present tense as indicated by the verb "be": is.
Here are some more examples:
- The bill indicates that we owe more money this month than last month.
- All the facts are indicating that this man is guilty.
- His chart indicates that sales for the company are improving.
The noun form is "indication."
- These sales figures are an indication of strong growth.
- The test result is an indication that your cholesterol level is too high.
to continue working on your vocabulary.
Published on November 29, 2011