If something is unattractive, the word "ugly" is a good choice to describe it. This is a short word and the meaning is very clear. The word "ugly," however, is not a nice word to use for a person. It’s the opposite of "pretty" or "beautiful."
- Joan and Pat bought an ugly house and fixed it up. Now the house looks great.
- Mary thought she was ugly as a child, but now she’s quite beautiful.
- No one wants to buy that car because the color is so ugly.
- That new building on the corner is so ugly.
- Strip mining leaves an ugly scar on the land.
a strip mine
The word "ugly" is also used when describing situations:
- Bill and Hoda are going through an ugly divorce.
- An ugly rumor involving President Obama’s past is circulating on the internet.
- We saw an ugly confrontation on the highway the other day between two drivers.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
This page was first published on August 25, 2012. It was updated on July 21, 2015.