The word "yard" is a noun. It can be a place outside of your house or a unit of measurement:
Three feet equal one yard.
- How many feet are in a yard?
- There are three feet in a yard.
- A football field is one hundred yards in length.
- The carpeting we bought for our living room cost $30 per square yard.
- This garden is about 10 yards in length.
A "yard" is also an open space in the front or the back of a person’s house:
- Kathy enjoys cutting the grass in her front yard.
- Our neighbors are having a party in their backyard.
- Hanna keeps a large dog in her yard to protect the house.
- Tim didn’t realize that having a large yard would require so much work.
- Their backyard is full of junk.
He enjoys cutting the grass in his yard.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
This page was first published on January 28, 2012.