A ceremony is a special event that marks the beginning or the end of something. A ceremony is also held when an award or a prize is presented for good work. Weddings, funerals, graduations, initiations, sporting events, retirements, and religious observations may all involve some kind of a ceremony.
- Leonardo DiCaprio was presented with an Oscar for Best Actor at the Academy Awards ceremony last night.
- The opening ceremony for the 2016 Olympic Games in Brazil should be spectacular.
- The opening and closing ceremonies at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing were impressive and very memorable.
- Rhonda and Ned’s wedding ceremony lasted just under an hour.
- Bill asked that there not be a ceremony for his retirement. He preferred to leave the company quietly.
- There was a brief ceremony in honor of our neighbor who passed away recently.
- The students at the graduation ceremony were thrilled to receive their diplomas.
He received his diploma at a graduation ceremony.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
This page was first published on July 28, 2012. It was updated on February 29, 2016.