A hose is used for bringing liquids or gas from one place to another.
This hose is used for water.
- I use a hose when I water my garden.
- Firefighters use a hose when putting out fires.
- When you get gas from a gas station, a hose goes into your gas tank.
- There are all kinds of hoses under the hood of your car.
- If the tires on your car look low, you can usually find an air hose at a gas station.
It’s possible to use "hose" as a verb:
- After riding his truck through a muddy field, Tom hosed down his truck. (hose down = wash off)
- During a confrontation with police, protesters were hosed down with water to make them move away.
- Burt got hosed on a poor investment. (To get hosed is slang. It means that a person was cheated or felt some sort of negative result.)
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
This page was first published on May 16, 2012. It was updated on January 31, 2016.