The word "create" is very similar to the verb "make." A person who creates something is making something new or reshaping something. Use this word as a verb:
- The children are creating some interesting art projects.
- Who created this beautiful picture?
- A party that got out of hand created a big mess. (get out of hand = lose control)
- This construction project is going to create new jobs for the people in our neighborhood.
The adjective form of this word is "creative:
Pablo is a creative artist.
- Pablo is a creative artist.
- Artists are creative people.
- They have a lot of creative ideas.
- Our group has come up with some very creative solutions for these problems.
When put in the form of a noun, "create" becomes "creation" or "creativity."
- That’s a lovely creation.
- The creation of new jobs is dependent on consumer spending.
- The people who designed this building showed an enormous amount of creativity.
- Her creativity impressed everyone.
Click here to go to the Word of the Day page.
This page was first published on September 23, 2012. It was updated on August 31, 2015.