The word "gradual" is an adjective that we use to describe something that happens slowly and over time.
- She’s making gradual progress.
- His recovery from the accident has been gradual.
- The teacher is seeing gradual improvement in his students’ English skills.
- A gradual decline in home values upset the housing market in this area.
- If the slope on the mountain were more gradual, it would be easier to climb–but it isn’t.
The adverb form of this word is "gradually."
- Daily temperatures in the spring gradually increase.
- He’s gradually getting better.
- Her health is gradually getting worse.
- The economy is gradually improving.
- Gradually, you’ll learn enough English to communicate with confidence.
Click here to learn more words.
First published on April 14, 2013. Updated on April 26, 2017